Many would consider their home, including its contents, to be one of their most valuable possessions. Whether you are traveling this summer or just leaving your home each day for work, here are some ways to help keep your valuables safe until you return.
- Ask a Friend or Hire Someone to Help – Ask or hire someone you trust to watch your home if you go out of town – to bring in your mail, turn on different lights each night, and generally take care of your home until you return.
- Don’t Create Unnecessary Attention – Use caution when you share information on social media about when you’re going to be out of town. Remember, your friends might not be the only ones following you.
- Store Your Valuables – Purchase a fireproof safe for valuables, or open a safe deposit box at BancorpSouth.
- Create an Inventory of Your Possessions – Create an inventory of your valuables, including when each item was purchased (or its origin), a description of each item, and where each item is located. Keep a hard copy in a secure location and another copy on your laptop or mobile device. Take pictures or a video of each room in your home (including all your valuables) for insurance purposes in the case of a disaster or other emergency situation. This may also be a good time to update your insurance policy to reflect the most recent appraisal of your valuables. And be sure you have enough coverage for all your valuables – including anything you’ve recently purchased.
- Conserve Energy – Unplug your larger appliances and electronics when you leave and use light timers. By doing so, you’ll protect your appliances and electronics from a power surge and possibly save money while you’re away from home.
- Consider an Alarm System – Purchase an alarm system for your home that will detect burglary, robbery, fire and other harmful elements. If you don’t feel an alarm system is necessary, be sure to lock your doors and windows anytime you leave your home.
- Remove Your Spare Key – Don't hide a key outside your home. If you feel someone needs to have a key in case of emergency, give an extra one to a trusted neighbor, friend or family member.
The solution to keeping your home and valuables safe is preparation. While some of these suggestions might take time, the peace of mind you’ll have in the event of a burglary, natural disaster or another emergency while you’re away will be worth it.
Your home isn’t the only thing you need to keep safe while out of town. Don’t let identity theft ruin your vacation. Fortunately, there are several steps you can take to help prevent identity theft while traveling. Click here to find out how.
© BancorpSouth 2019