Many customers ask us when it’s best to use their debit cards or credit cards. There’s no definitive answer to that question.In fact, the card you use depends on what you are purchasing and the benefits of the card you will be using.
Benefits of using your credit card
Using your credit card for purchases has many benefits and could offer you protection against fraud. However, not all credit cards are equal. You should understand what protection your credit card offers and then decide if it is the right choice for your purchase.
At BancorpSouth, we offer a variety of Mastercard® credit cards that range in benefits such as:
- Zero liability protection – This means you’re 100 percent protected if your eligible card is lost or stolen.
- Rewards program – For every dollar you spend, you'll earn a rewards point to redeem toward gift cards, air travel, car rentals, cruises and more.
- Extended warranty offers – These double the original manufacturer's or store brand warranty for up to one year when you pay with your eligible Mastercard credit card.
- Identity theft resolution services – You have access to a number of identity theft resolution services should you believe you are a victim.
- Price protection – Should you find a lower price for a new item within 60 days of the date of purchase using your eligible Mastercard credit card, you may be reimbursed for the price difference.
These benefits make the BancorpSouth Mastercard credit card a great choice when traveling locally or abroad, making large purchases, when shopping online and more. For complete benefit details, see your cardholder agreement.
Benefits of using a debit card
A debit card gives you 24/7 access to your cash. With that said, there are certain times when using your debit card may benefit you more than using a credit card or cash.
- Convenience – Using your debit card means that you do not have to carry around cash that could get lost or stolen, and you do not have to worry about making a credit card payment later.
- Keeps you on budget – Using your debit card will help you spend only the money you have available. Plus you can monitor your transactions through online budgeting tools, such as BancorpSouth BudgetWi$e, to help keep you on track and reach your financial goals.
- The best exchange rate on foreign currency – Using your debit card at an ATM abroad will usually give you the wholesale exchange rate, which is much better than if you use it to make a transaction.
- Fraud protection – It’s important to point out that many debit cards provide fraud protection as well. At BancorpSouth, we take fraud seriously and will alert you by text or email of potentially fraudulent activity. And if you ever notice an unauthorized transaction on your account, we will work with you to identify the impact of the fraud and help you through the process of filing a claim.
For complete benefit details, see the Mastercard® Cardholder Core Credit Benefits.
© BancorpSouth 2018